The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for the 2019 election
, Atiku Abubakar
, has picked ex-Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi
as his running mate. Obi had declared the emergence of Atiku as a good sign for the country ahead of the 2019 general election.
Below, Concise News
reveals the profile of the former Anambra governor:NAME
: Mr. Peter Gregory OBI, (CON)DATE OF BIRTH
: 19th July 1961PLACE OF BIRTH
: Onitsha, NigeriaNATIONALITY
: NigerianMARITAL STATUS
: Married with two childrenEDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS ATTENDED
· Christ the King College, Onitsha (W.A.S.C.)
. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (B.A. Philosophy)
· Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief Executive Program)
· Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Mid to Mid Marketing)
· Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Changing the Game)
· London School of Economics (Financial Mgmt/Business Policy)
· Columbia Business School, New York, U.S.A. (Marketing Mgmt )
· Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Senior Executive Program)
· Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Break-Through Program for CEOs)
· Kellogg Graduate School of Management, U.S.A. (Advanced Executive Program)
· Kellogg School of Management U.S.A. (Global Advanced Mgmt Program)
. Oxford University: Said Business School, (Advanced Mgmt& Leadership Program)
. Cambridge University: George Business School (Advanced Leadership Program)PREVIOUS POSITIONS
· Governor, Anambra State of Nigeria (2006-2014)
· Honorary Special Adviser to the President on Finance (till May 2015)
· Member, Presidential Economic Management Team (till May 2015)
· Vice-Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (2008-2014)
· Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum (2006-2014)
. Former Chairman: Board of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
· Former Chairman: Fidelity Bank Plc.
· Former Chairman: Guardian Express Mortgage Bank, Ltd.
· Former Chairman: Future Views Securities, Ltd.
· Former Chairman: Paymaster Nigeria Plc.
· Former Chairman: Next International (Nigeria) Ltd
· Former Director: Guardian Express Bank Plc.
· Former Director: Chams Nigeria Plc.
· Former Director: Emerging Capital Ltd
· Former Director: Card Centre PlcMEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS/ORGANIZATIONS
· Member, Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG)
· Member, Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers
· Member, British Institute of Directors (IOD)MEMBERSHIP OF FEDERAL GOVERNMENT COMMITTEES
In my capacity as the Governor of Anambra State, I served as a member of:
*Federal Government Committee on Minimum Wage
*Federal Government Committee on Negotiation with Labour on Subsidy
*Federal Government Committee on Mass Transit
*Federal Government Committee on Natural Resource
*National Economic Council Committee on Power Sector Reform
*National Economic Council Committee on Sharing of MDGs Funds
*National Economic Council Committee on Accurate Data on Nigeria’s Oil Import and Export
*Agricultural Transformation Implementation Council
*Sub-Committee on Needs Analysis of Public Universities in Nigeria
*National Economic Council Review Committee on the Power SectorAWARDS & RECOGNITIONS2015
: Golden Jubilee Award from Catholic Diocese of Onitsha for outstanding contribution to quality healthcare delivery in St. Charles Borromeo Hospital in particular and Anambra State in general, on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee celebration of the hospital.*2014
: Nigerian Library Association Golden Merit Award for remarkable improvement of libraries in Anambra State, exemplified by our Government’s construction of the Kenneth Dike Digital State Library, remarkable upgrade of the Onitsha Divisional Library, and provision of library facilities in secondary schools across the State.*2014
: Champion Newspaper Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade.* 2014
The Voice Newspaper (Holand) Achievers Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance.*2013
: Silver Bird Man of the Year (with Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State).*2012
: Business Hallmark Newspaper Man of the Year.*2012
: The Golden Award on Prudence – by the Methodist Church of Nigeria as the Most
Financially Prudent Governor in Nigeria.* 2012
: Leadership and Good Governance Award by The Ezeife Leadership Foundation Award for restoring peace and harmony to Anambra State.* 2012
: Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria – by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.* 2012
: Outstanding Financial Planner and Manager – by the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion for my resourcefulness and creativity in governance.*2011
: Zik Leadership Prize.*2010
: ICT Governor of the Year – by the West Africa ICT Development Award.*2009
: Champion Newspaper Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor Award.*2009
: Thisday Newspaper Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria.*2007
: The Sun Newspaper Man of the Year Award.
**The Nigerian MDGs Office/UNDP Best Governor in the Implementation of the MDGs in NigeriaINTRODUCTION OF CONSTITUTIONAL AND OTHER MAJOR CHANGES IN NIGERIAN POLITICS
*He was the first gubernatorial candidate in Nigeria to legally challenge to its logical conclusion, his governorship electoral victory that was denied him. He won in the Courts and reclaimed his mandate.
*He was the first Governor in Nigeria to legally challenge his wrongful impeachment and was reinstated by the Courts.
*He was the first Governor in Nigeria to seek the interpretation of tenures of Governors when INEC allowed elections to take place in Anambra State when his tenure had not expired; the election already concluded was canceled and he was allowed to complete his tenure.
*He was the first Governor to serve a 2nd term in both the new and old Anambra State, that is, almost 40 years after the creation of the State.
*He was the first Governor, whilst still in Office, to be appointed a Special Adviser to the President.
*He was the first serving Governor to be appointed into the Presidential Economic Management Team.
*He was among the first Governors to be honored with a National Award in 2011, while still in office.
*Though the only Governor whose political party was in government in only one State, he was elected Vice-Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum twice.
*Though the only non-PDP Governor in the South-East (made up of 5 States), he was elected by the other 4 PDP Governors as their Chairman for 8 years rather than the usual one year.